Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bring on the Night - Rockville Rotary Twlight 8k

I signed up for Rockville Rotary Twilight 8k because I knew a lot of people that were doing it.  I wasn't going to be in top shape, but still had a chance to improve over Celtic Solstice (with an adjustment for the 8k - 5 mile distance).  Plus the after stuff was pretty cool, if it was like when I did it in the early 90's (or late 80's, I don't even know anymore). 

I had a plan to go out at 6:30 pace and after 3 miles, hopefully I would be feeling ok and I could push through to the end.  If I was not feeling ok, I could just try and hang on to the 6:30s.  It's not how I usually race, but I certainly didn't want to start with a 5k-like first mile under 6.  And I managed to start in that ball park, I think the clock read 6:30, although I was maybe 8 or 10 seconds behind gun time, so it was really a tad faster than that.  I was steady through 2, but somewhere between 2 and 3 my shoelace came undone.  Not a huge deal, except the chip was laced through them.  I worried for a bit and then just decided to stop and tie it.  I don't know how many seconds it cost me (probably less than 10?) but it threw off my rhythm for sure.  I picked it back up a bit, but I think the damage had been done.  Miles 3 and 4 had shown quite a bit of dropoff.

I actually had to stop a second time right before mile 4 and I just decided to grab the chip and carry it the rest of the way.  The last mile was straight shot down 355 to the finish and I was fortunate someone passed me going faster than everyone else around me.  I followed his lead and finished up 10 or 15 seconds faster in the last mile at least. 

Overall, the race was fine.  It wasn't a bad race, but it wasn't exactly a 'good' race either.  I'll just take the time and move on.  It was cool and rainy, but it also was very humid and that probably took its toll.  I would like to come back and make an attempt at sub 30:00 next year for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment