Wednesday, January 2, 2013

13 is my lucky number

Started off 2013 right with a fairly quick 5k in Patterson Park.  The Resolution Run is a pretty low-key race with a lot of walkers.  I guess the point is to get out and run if that's your New Year's Resolution.  I've never been that kind of person.  A bunch of friends talked about doing it, so I decided I would jump in and race it.

The race itself was a pretty standard affair.  Quick first mile around 6 flat.  Decent hill in the second mile and the pace dropped to 6:22.  Finished up with a bit of downhill and mostly flat with a 6:07 third mile.  Got a bit of a boost from my friend Melissa M in mile three as she passed me on her way to first overall female w.  Probably would have flirted with sub 19 on a flatter course (but where's the fun in that?).  Thought I might have a shot at an age group award but 3rd in 30-39 was 18:49, so I am not quite there yet.  19th male overall, 19:25. 

I am declaring yesterday the official start of my Marathon Training.  Flying Pig is 17 1/2 weeks away, a little longer than I probably really need, but the first couple of weeks I have modest mile totals penciled in.  I'd love to BQ, but I'm not sure how realistic that is at this point.  Probably will have a better shot at that in the fall, even though that means I wouldn't be able to run it until 2015...

No comments:

Post a Comment