Monday, March 25, 2013

That Was Unexpected...

Went back home to run Francie's Family 5k over the weekend.  I did this race last year (and then did another race later in the day) because it's back in my hometown and it honors a former teammate from high school who passed tragically.  I think I was eighth in something like 20:50 in 2012, finishing behind a 12 year-old girl.  This year I finished behind no one.  Apparently there was a high school meet that conflicted this year, and the kids that finished at the front last year were not there (I checked and my time would have been 4th last year). 

The course is not particularly flat, with a hill around mile one and a mini Hereford 'dip' right at mile two.  I have less-than-fond memories of doing hill workouts on that spot back in my salad days.  As a result, I think the 18:35 time is in-line with my shamrock time, combined with the fact I ran a brisk paced 8 on Friday night through hillier parts of Baltimore which capped a 65 mile week. 

The race itself was not that interesting.  A few folks went out quick and I was sitting back in 3rd or 4th until the first hill.  I held the 5:50 pace past mile one and that was too much for them.  My pace dropped above 6 minute pace by the end but overall it was enough to finish in front.  My first win since 1996, maybe longer?  On to the next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment