Friday, February 17, 2012

So, Roy, let me ask you--what have been doing all these years?



I ran the Shamrock Marathon in March of 2001. The next reported race result I have is the Executive Stampede in late 2008 (a somewhat respectable 21:30 5k). So what did I do in-between? Drinking, yes, but not just that.

Australian Rules Football
After spending a semester in Perth, Western Australia in 1999 I was hooked on footy. It took me a couple of years, but I found a DC/Baltimore team and gave it a go. I went to my first practice somewhere around August of 2001 at Swan Park (getting my full dose of arsenic and whatever else was in the dirt there). If I was practicing and playing regularly it meant I was in ok running shape. The 5k in '08 was after a particularly dedicated training summer. I had delusions that I would have been a good player had a played from an early age, but that was probably wishful thinking. It was still a good time and the team won a Class II National Championship in Vegas along the way (I had a pretty minor role, but was still a member of the team). Was there drinking? Is Fosters Australian for 'we don't drink that shit?' (yes!)

The Band
I think Scheduled Beating was started the next year in November. Typical hardcore punk. A couple of weekend playing shows in NC/PA/Long Island. Oddly, I was doing a lot of running when we were living in the 'Beating House,' a house we rented in 2004 in Catonsville so we could have a place to practice. Jon was living there and we ran together a bit. We also ventured in the city and ran the group runs at the old 5k store on Bond Street in Fells. But I didn't do any competitive races during that period. Just running for fun. So what happened during band times? Drinking, lots of drinking.

Greyhound Adoption
I bought my house in 2005. It wasn't long before I realized this meant I could adopt a dog. I was watching Westminster for the Ibizan Hounds (my brother's dog Jasper was an Ibizan). I wanted a similar dog, but not exactly the same (Ibizians are rare and expensive). Greyhounds are in the same group and usually are right next to the Ibizans (G and I alphabetically). I did always have a fascination with the breed, despite not really ever seeing one in person. I don't think there is much mystery why a runner would be drawn to the fastest dogs in the world. I spent some time getting my affairs in order and pulled the trigger to adopt Zuni, my first, in January of 2007. It only took about a year (and a job change) before I was fostering pretty much full time. And I continued to foster until 2011 when I adopted again (and again). But the question you are asking is--was there drinking? Well, I went to lots greyhound events (gathering of owners at various locations around the region). And the folks I associated with enjoyed a cocktail or a beer. So...

No comments:

Post a Comment