Monday, February 13, 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes

24 Little Hours
I make full use of the site mapmyrun. I was looking for a way to track mileage when I got serious last March/April and finding it was a bit of a revelation. It appeals to my map nerdiness which is fairly obvious due to my choice of career (Geography/GIS/Cartography). Just to give you an idea: I have 169 routes, which includes a bunch of warm up and cool down routes. But overall every time I go out to run, I tend to make a new route that needs to be mapped. And it hasn't gotten old yet.

Choosing that particular site had affected me in a subtle way. I am bound to the Sunday to Saturday week that they designate as a week. I could re-figure the week to include other days, but I'm a little too lazy for that. So, for better or for worse, this is my week. This week makes an perfect example. My Sunday recovery run was a mere 4 miles (but about right for the day after a race). So I was playing 'catch-up' the rest of the week. I had to hit over 8 on Tuesday, would have been happier with 9. 6 became 7 on Wednesday and Friday was 10. I wanted to have some legs on Sunday for the Club Challenge workout and doing 10 the day before would be counterproductive at this stage of my running progress. So the total for 2/5 - 2/11 was a moderate 40 mile week.

Here is where it gets crazy. If you shift the count one day, 5/6 - 5/12 thanks to a 13 mile Sunday become a 49 mile week. It's my highest 'week' in recent memory, and possibly ever (sadly). But I'm not going to count it, I'm sticking with my Sunday to Saturday weeks. I do get a nice to start to the current week, of course. But it's something to think about when trying to reasonably raise the miles in a 'safe' manner.

Or maybe I just wanted to brag about those 7 days....

No comments:

Post a Comment