Monday, November 26, 2012

NCR Marathon - quick post

Full race report to follow when I have time.

My realistic goal time for the race was 3:18 based on a half a few weeks back.  Went out too fast (still making that rookie mistake), but really didn't start to struggle badly until around mile 21 when the splits went above 8 minutes per mile.  The last two miles are uphill (the marker for mile 25 was in the middle of the longest hill off the trail) and subsequently were 9:40 and 9:12.  I think the closeness of the finish meant I was able to tough out a slightly quicker mile for #26.  But that's where 3:20 slipped away.  Chip time wound up being 3:21:58, which is a 13 1/2 minute PR and that's always a good thing.  The disaster at Grandmas is in the rear view mirror, now.

I could have run smarter and probably hit the 3:18 goal, but there is no doubt I couldn't have tried any harder overall.  I struggled to make it even back to the elementary school for the post race festivities.  It's 2 full days later and I'm still very sore. 

Already signed up for Flying Pig in Cincinnati in May.  Not sure about a BQ attempt (I have to run 3:10) but I will probably go out like it, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment