Sunday, September 29, 2013

Falls Road 15k

(aka Baltimore Pacemakers Prep 15k)

The Falls Road 15k is the only the race i've managed to run all 3 years of my running revival. A small race with rolling hills through Druid Hill Park (not the dreaded hills, though) it's one of my favorite races, since 15k is pretty much my favorite distance to race. In 2011 I went to Fells Point festival and had several Natty Bohs, but will still happy with my 1:08. Last year I was in much more respectable shape and cut that time down 1:04 and the place down to 12th overall. Back in December of last year I made a notecard goal going under 60 minutes in 15k, so I was looking to get the final goal completed.

This year a 5k was added in addition to the 5k. It didn't have much effect on the race up towards the front. Cory was running the 5k at an easier pace since he is two weeks away from Chicago. He did take the lead through the mansion loop, but by the time we were around the lake 3 out of the top 4 places overall were 15k runners (first, second, and fourth). I went out aggressively and was hanging with the second place runner. First place had checked out and i'm not sure who all were behind me because I wasn't checking at this point.

The hill on mile 4 is where reality set in and my pace slowed. Second place pulled away and I was running the rest of the way on my own. I try to push the back side of the park through Woodberry because it's mostly downhill, although the switchbacks are a bit tough. The turnaround at mile 7 was my chance to see the next person behind me, and it wasn't so close. I had pretty much already lost out on sub 60, so I was just finishing up however I could.

Final totals. 1:01:30 on my watch. 3rd Overall. On to the next one, either Newark Mile or Army 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment